Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careless Driving Ticket

Careless Driving Ticket

I got a 4 point ticket for wrecking my bike. If I mail it in this week it will drop to 2 points. Has anyone went to court and had the points reduced below 2 points without a lawyer? What about having it changed from a careless driving to a headlight violation or something like that?

edit: I am 4 points within losing my license.
    Last edited by thatmofo; Sun Jun 28th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

Re: Careless Driving Ticket

What's the big deal about getting a 2 pt. ticket? (Unless you're about to lose your license) It's the same amount of points you'd get for speeding 1-9MPH over the speed limit (which everyone does).
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Quote Originally Posted by thatmofo View Post
    I got a 4 point ticket for wrecking my bike. If I mail it in this week it will drop to 2 points. Has anyone went to court and had the points reduced below 2 points without a lawyer? What about having it changed from a careless driving to a headlight violation or something like that?

Mail it unless it is CSPD the most there are gonna drop it is 2points. Unless you fight the whole ticket in with more and more court.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    What's the big deal about getting a 2 pt. ticket? (Unless you're about to lose your license) It's the same amount of points you'd get for speeding 1-9MPH over the speed limit (which everyone does).
    I only have 4 points left on my license.

And then, 4 - 2 = 2 points left!

Seems to me you need to readjust how you drive to begin with if you have 8 points on your license now and just scored an additional 2 points. Oh, and if you only have 2 points left, I wouldn't buy an Busa...but then again, thats just me.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.

Do whatever you gotta do to get the least points possible. If you can fight it do it, being close to losing your license or losing it is a life changing deal (unforutnately I know, 73 tickets thus far). Only 1 in the last 5 years though so I have most definitely learned my lesson over the years. I have been suspended and revoked more times than I can tell you. My abstract is 3 pages long. I was an idiot 4sho.

Fight it, school, whatever you gotta do. Just don't lose it!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

If you go to court, with your driving record you are not leaving there without some points. IMO, mail it in and slow the fuck down. It'll be cheaper than the court fees, probably have the same outcome, and you know you have your license if you can control yourself in the future. If you go to court you do run the chance of all 4 points being upheld, and then you're in a bad way.

If it was just gravel in a turn and you slid/skidded an appropriate distance for the speed I'd think the cop would take that into consideration. None of us know what happened here, but I suspect the cop had a reason to give you the careless driving ticket and likely noted as much on the back (the part you don't see, but the judge does). Carefully consider what you were doing and whether you think you can successfully bullshit your way out of this one, and whether it's even worth it for 2 points.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I wrecked my near new 2001 R1 back then, I received that same 4 pt careless from Littleton's finest. w/o a lawyer da knocked it down to a 2 pt defective... but I had ok record w more than 4 pts I'm sure.

Also any bike drop in Colorado can get you a Careless driving ticket. Funny how a car can hit a curb in the snow and not get a ticket at all. But we fall on sand and its a ticket.

Chris Titus

The cop threatened me with a careless during my gravelly lowside but I was able to sweet-talk my way down to a failure to remain in my lane (2 pts). I mailed it in on time and got it reduced to 1 point. The cop did make it clear that this was my best option (and kind of made it seem like I would go nowhere by going to court. He knew I was steamed for getting a ticket in the first place.) BUT... I also had a clear record up to that point.
    I'm not sure I would risk taking it to court in your case. You have to remember that there is a good chance the judge will look at your record and wonder why he should do you any favors. You have a 50/50 shot of losing your license if you push the issue. How lucky do you feel? Is it worth the roll of the dice? Methinks you should just mail it in and ride/drive as if you only have 2 damn points left. Very, very few and far between are the cases where NO points get handed out - I can't imagine you'll be one of them with all of the points you already have. IMHO
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    I wrecked my near new 2001 R1 back then, I received that same 4 pt careless from Littleton's finest. w/o a lawyer da knocked it down to a 2 pt defective... but I had ok record w more than 4 pts I'm sure.

That's the only thing I want to do is have it dropped to a 2 pt defective headlight or taillight etc. so it doesn't show up as a careless driving ticket on my record.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmofo View Post
    That's the only thing I want to do is have it dropped to a 2 pt defective headlight or taillight etc. so it doesn't show up as a careless driving ticket on my record.

only tickets I know that they change what you did is a ticket from CSPD.

Chris Titus

every ticket i've had reduced you plead guilty to a lesser charge and the other one gets thrown out. so to get the 2 points by mailing it in your gonna be pleading guilty to something like defective vehicle or 1-9 over the limit so thats what will show up on your record... might wanna read the letter they send you in the mail carefully to see what the other charge is... that reminds me, i gotta send my ticket in lol

I've recieved a few careless driving tickets.....say what you want. At least it is not a reckless driving ticket. Mail it in and it in. They are not that bad. Bunch of crap. If wrecking your bike is not a big enough fine, here is this ticket. I laugh at cops when they hand out improper mountain driving tickets to people that are in the ditch with a busted car. How big of an asshole can they be it seems.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Good luck.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

CRS 42-4-1402. Careless driving - penalty. State Statutes - CRS
    (1) Any person who drives any motor vehicle, bicycle, or motorized bicycle in a careless and imprudent manner, without due regard for the width, grade, curves, corners, traffic, and use of the streets and highways and all other attendant circumstances, is guilty of careless driving. A person convicted of careless driving of a bicycle or motorized bicycle shall not be subject to the provisions of section 42-2-127.
    (2) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense, but, if the person's actions are the proximate cause of bodily injury or death to another, such person commits a class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense.

So the question is... Are you guilty?
    Every hunter is someones prey!

Mail it. 2 points garanteed vs. 4 pts, no license, and a fight
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

What were the circumstances of your accident?

AKA "Devaclis"

Tell them you couldn't "careless"
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Just tell the Judge you were going with the flow of traffic...

they might take you down to 1 point plus you must do a day at the Funny Films:

Old Knee Dragger, rider extrodiare and shall we say "older' gentleman, business owner and engineer has a 95 pound brain. He lost his bike on sand pulling out of a gas station and some local freaked and called the cops before he could leave. He got hit with that ticket and went to a court. He presented a very professional case pionting out the sand, had an explanation regarding traction, as well as the city of Pueblo's failure to provide him with an adaquete road surface.

If you ever met OKD, you can bet it was spot on, professional and that he went in with the right respect for the judge and court. He would have logical. He also would have know exactly what he was talking about.

He lost.

The judge simply said "You don't not lose control of a vehicle, you give it up."

Mail the ticket, slow down and count your days. Otherwise, you will end up frustrated, down quite a few dollars and in the same boat you are now.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

The judge was right and you are right, mail it in and be extra careful until some points go back on your license.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Burn it and ride to Turkey.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!