Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rollins Pass

Rollins Pass

Anyone ridden Rollins Pass over to Winter Park?

I'm looking at Drew Hill rd up to 119 (dirt/pavement mix), then Tolland road up and over Rollins Pass. Could be fun. Could be boring. Either way it's a ride.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Rollins Pass

The tunnel at the top is closed off due to structural issues, so you can't (legally) go all the way over.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

Was up there yesterday an there is still way too much snow
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

There is some single track near Yankee Doodle Lake that links up with the west side IIRC.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

What Dirk said

more reading here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=rollins+pass
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    There is some single track near Yankee Doodle Lake that links up with the west side IIRC.
    Yeah, just don't get caught on it. My understanding is that those trails are verboten. I'd love to find out tt wasn't correct.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    Was up there yesterday an there is still way too much snow
    Yeah, when I was up there last year about this time, it was still too snowy to get to the top. I figure I'll make a run up there in August this year.

--Thomas Jefferson

AKA "Devaclis"

Unless they clear it the road may still be closed off in August. There is a LOT of snow up by the lake and man it takes forever to melt.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    Fascinating. I was just looking at the Colorado Gazzetteer and google maps. They both show a road that goes over the saddle. Had I never asked, I'd have just rode over thinking it was fine to do so.

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

was at the top of kingston peak yesterday, rode up from the Alice side...it's clear up till the parking lot, don't think it's accessible from the Apex/Rollinsville side yet...probably another week or so.

as a side note...the fishing at Fall River Res was magical.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

Quote Originally Posted by arcatacat View Post
    Fascinating. I was just looking at the Colorado Gazzetteer and google maps. They both show a road that goes over the saddle. Had I never asked, I'd have just rode over thinking it was fine to do so.

Well its a hot topic as you probably saw from that link. Legally they are suppose to have one of two routes open on condition of the wilderness area, but Boulder fails at this. A 20+ year battle, that has gotten nowhere with nice talk. Been talked about getting a large group together and just doing it.

Either fix the tunnel or open up the other route, which I understand is a lot rougher...but by LAW they are to have one of these open to vehicles to get across. Chances are being that it has been 20 years...some Boulderite hiking would call on you although you be perfectly in your legal right. I don't think anyone has challenged this...and my .02 cents it will ever get settled if someone does...if I had millions to fight a legal battle I be up to the task (not being a local for that area, and not having millions means I'm not risking it unless there is a large group to protest it then I would).

if a guy had a nice light 250, wouldn't it be nice to roll it up the hill and park on top? What the hell would they do then? It's a motorized vehicle but you pushed it no different than a guy with a mountain bike.....
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

if a guy had a nice light 250, wouldn't it be nice to roll it up the hill and park on top? What the hell would they do then? It's a motorized vehicle but you pushed it no different than a guy with a mountain bike.....
    I would just ride it...I mean the tunnel was found to be safe from what I read, but NO this is an easy convenience for Boulder to say its not safe and it should be closed...well then under the Federal Law fix the road. Which it states if they need help they just need to request the funding...LOL I really wonder what they would do if 30 Dual Sports just up and rode across. Its probably what should have been done the first 6 months it did not re-open.

my position on that was clear in the ADV thread. But in the absence of 30 dual sports, could you imagine the look on ranger ricks face when you pushed your DS right past him and the closed road sign?

1999 DR650SE

my position on that was clear in the ADV thread. But in the absence of 30 dual sports, could you imagine the look on ranger ricks face when you pushed your DS right past him and the closed road sign?
    To do it right you would have to advertise it as a RIDE, let boulder know...let them have police out there or rangers. Then to their surprise push your motorcycle across...now that would be funny.

Just to otherwise show up and push in hopes of a ranger being there be tiring for no reason and no look on anyone's face. I have not seen one ranger this year, do they even exist!!! Likelihood of seeing a ranger is very low.

I've been hitting it alot lately. The snow has melted, and the trails are laid nicley. There are two routes, both not very hard going from WP towards Rollinsville. But going from Rollinsville to WP, it would be an extreme challenge for Dual Sports (GS, KLR, Vstrom, Adventures etc) But....I think certain people would be able to do it with some effort. Going over from the WP side there are also no signs,except on route 2 Only problems are the pinch point through route 1, with a mediocre hillclimb, then route two-getting around a gate then having a rough, loose hill climb on the way out. The third route, is a beautiful beautiful trail...and maybe I"ll see you up there. I'm on a white YZ250. Will be up there tomorrow. PM if anyone wants to meet sometime.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Mon Aug 29th, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah, when I was up there last year about this time, it was still too snowy to get to the top. I figure I'll make a run up there in August this year.
    I rode up there yesterday on the east side and then hiked up to the tunnel and around to the west side for a mile or so. I would have hiked farther but Sidi Crossfires, while great dirt boots, are not the best for hiking.

The end of the road:

Jenny Lake from the trail up to the Needle's Eye Tunnel:

The approach to the tunnel:

Looking into the tunnel from the east side:

After scrambling over rocks to the right of the tunnel, a view of Yankee Doodle Lake (note the tailings pile extending into the lake):

The tunnel from the west side:

Survey marker near the end of the east side of the trail

The view from where the road is blocked off on the east side. The Needle's Eye Tunnel is the black patch on the far away mountain side. It gives you an idea of the hike from the end of the road to the tunnel.

The tailings pile in Yankee Doodle Lake comes from this abandoned attempt to create a tunnel:

--Thomas Jefferson

awesome pics dirk - thanks for sharing

1999 DR650SE

Awesome pics, I'm gonna have to go up Rollins at least once this season before it snows.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

would like to join ya if we can work schedules out.

1999 DR650SE

My 950 would ride right through that. I need to get up there.

Dirk, when are we going to go riding again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My 950 would ride right through that. I need to get up there.

Dirk, when are we going to go riding again?
    When you promise to call me a dumbass, instead of saying Ok!, when I suggest that we go up things like Pennsylvania Gulch. And yes, your 950 would be right at home on the Rollins Pass road. I'll let you know the next time I can get out.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    When you promise to call me a dumbass, instead of saying Ok!, when I suggest that we go up things like Pennsylvania Gulch. And yes, your 950 would be right at home on the Rollins Pass road. I'll let you know the next time I can get out.

Let me know, I'd like to hit up a trail with you at least once this year. Fall colors are coming too. I'll even let you pick the trail(s).

Snowed last night up high. Not much. Will be making a run to the stage stop for lunch on Tuesday If anyone is interested
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!