Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
I have a new rider that wants to take the school. What's it called in Colorado and where can she take it in Denver? I think I've seen them at Fay but that one is $320, which is a lot more expensive than I remember
If you want to know why some of the schools are increasing the price, it is because for the last few years the classes were partially funded by the state of Colorado. The money for this came from fees tacked on when bikes were tagged. The last two years MOST has decreased this stipend each year, which pushes more costs back on the schools and then onto the students. I'm not sure, because I haven't gone to a MOST meeting in a couple of years, if they are going to take stop charging those fees on tags or take the funds and apply them elsewhere, like the billboards and emergency signs and posters in bathroom stalls to wear gear. Marketing instead of teaching.

The end of this fiscal year for the state, end of June, the stipend is supposed to go away altogether I believe. So schools used to get around $75-$95 per student (when other reimbursed items are included) from the state, now half of that or less, and soon nothing.

Anyway, some schools have more bandwidth to absorb the costs, and others don't, and still others are charging low prices and keeping the volume of students coming through higher.

Some schools were for removing the stipend because they want the government out of the business of motorcycling altogether, beyond putting the M on your license. But the state still has to pay people to track all the data coming in, who passes, card numbers, etc.

Wherever you go, consider it money well spent. Whether it is $99 or $299. What's it worth to you to learn how to do it right?

I get a lot of students in class who think $200 is a lot, but wait for the sticker shock of new tires.