Thread: Rollins Pass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Rollins Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe Siphek View Post
    Was up there yesterday an there is still way too much snow
    Yeah, when I was up there last year about this time, it was still too snowy to get to the top. I figure I'll make a run up there in August this year.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Rollins Pass

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah, when I was up there last year about this time, it was still too snowy to get to the top. I figure I'll make a run up there in August this year.
    I rode up there yesterday on the east side and then hiked up to the tunnel and around to the west side for a mile or so. I would have hiked farther but Sidi Crossfires, while great dirt boots, are not the best for hiking.

The end of the road:

Jenny Lake from the trail up to the Needle's Eye Tunnel:

The approach to the tunnel:

Looking into the tunnel from the east side:

After scrambling over rocks to the right of the tunnel, a view of Yankee Doodle Lake (note the tailings pile extending into the lake):

The tunnel from the west side:

Survey marker near the end of the east side of the trail

The view from where the road is blocked off on the east side. The Needle's Eye Tunnel is the black patch on the far away mountain side. It gives you an idea of the hike from the end of the road to the tunnel.

The tailings pile in Yankee Doodle Lake comes from this abandoned attempt to create a tunnel:

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson